Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Snips N Stuff

Does anyone else notice the growing trend of people who have stopped using capital letters?  Is it so very hard to capitalize words?  Or do people just not care about language anymore?  Maybe punctuation and grammar are becoming disposable like the rest of our society.

All right I'll end the rant now. 

You know how sometimes you have a day where you could get lots of writing done but you piddle around and don't do as much as you could. You work, but afterwards you look back and hate yourself a little for not working harder.  Anyone else do this?  Anyway, I'm trying to make up for such a day so I'll just leave you with a little snip I found. Does anyone else find things in their work that surprise them?  Things they don't remember writing, or that are surprisingly good, or surprisingly bad.




He could tell it was her by the shape of her body, the set of her head. He knew everything about how she looked, stood and moved. She was so beautiful, even now, a dark silhouette against the sky. His stomach fluttered and his knees felt slightly weak. It still surprised him, even after all these years, the effect she had on him. His arms ached to go around her, pressing her tight until she became a part of him. His lips tingled wanting to kiss her until she couldn’t breathe and thought of nothing but him. If only she would smile at him, truly smile, or even see him, instead of looking through or past him as she always did. If only she wanted him as he wanted her. 




Have a happy Wednesday!

14 comments:

  1. I've noticed the non-capital trend... It doesn't bother me as much as the abbreviation trend (how r u?) Lovely excerpt. I wish she wanted him as much as he wants her too :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abbreviations bother me a little too but not as much. I wonder if they both came from the same source though. People trying to text and tweet quickly and can't be bothered to spell anything or change to capitals. I have people make fun of me because I use apostrophes while texting. I just CAN'T leave them out intentionally.

      Thanks, she will at the end. :)

      Delete
  2. Sara,
    I *love* that snip! And capital letters. LOL! Oops, sorry Melissa. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zan. I really should stop going on rants. I'm probably starting to sound like I'm 90, railing against the evils of the younger generation.

      Delete
  3. the way we write is definitely changing. what used to be a sentence fragment is now "voice".

    and yes, i have plenty of "do nothing" days. i am actually trying to embrace them. personally, i think i work too hard and stress too much. so when i have those days, i just remind myself of how hard i worked the day before.

    and, yes, sometimes i go back and read what i wrote and am surprised by it.

    i agree with melissa on the excerpt, btw. luv it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You crack me up. I'll admit I write a lot of sentence fragments. I catch a lot during revisions but I miss a lot too.

      Delete
  4. Great except.

    Totally guilty of lazy capitalization - or, should I say non-capitalization ;-)

    I had someone quote my book the other day, and I was like -really? I wrote that? Cool.

    Kinda fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, we each have our issues. Linda called me on sentence fragments.

      I bet that would be cool. Can't wait.

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh. Capital letters. Yes, I wish people would use them properly, as well as other elements of writing. I can't even bring myself to use texting shortcuts; it goes against my very nature.

    I love those times when my writing surprises me (in a good way or in a 'I forgot I wrote that' way) because it makes the down times easier to manage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes. Those little surprises are nice when it's good, but when it's bad.... *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rant away! I agree with you one hundred percent :D

    I really loved that excerpt. Such longing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your excerpt was beautiful, Sara. My husband has a blog for his artwork; he loves using lower case i's, when he should be capitalizing! I asked him recently if he thought he was e.e. cummings or something! :-)

    ReplyDelete